IMG seeks a talented and highly-motivated lawyer to add to its business and legal affairs department in its New York City office. This position will report to the VP, Associate General Counsel and will take responsibility for structuring, reviewing, drafting and negotiating deals for IMG’s Original Content division, which produces a wide range of entertainment, live event, sports, variety and unscripted and scripted television, digital, radio and film programming.
- Responsible for handling all legal matters surrounding IMG’s television development, production and distribution projects on a day to day basis, including drafting and negotiating: development/attachment agreements with producers and talent, broadcast/license agreements with television networks and other content distributors, various production releases, co-production agreements, talent/crew agreements (e.g., directors, writers, actors, below-the-line production services, etc.), format licenses, distribution agreements, and various contractor and vendor agreements.
- Coordinate with IMG risk management to ensure coverage; coordinate with IMG finance with respect to project budgets/payments/collections; advise on clearance matters; evaluating intellectual property rights/chain of title issues.
- Act as an entrepreneurial business partner with, and provide decision-making support and guidance on strategic and budgetary issues to, IMG’s Original Content executives.
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to balance IMG’s business needs and acceptable levels of risk.
- Foster positive long-term internal business client and external customer relationships.
- Familiarity with music rights/issues, theatrical and/or feature films a plus
- JD from an ABA accredited law school.
- Admitted to NY Bar (or another state bar permissible under NY in-house counsel rules).
- Minimum 3-4 years of transactional legal experience, ideally with at least 2 of those years spent focusing on unscripted television programming in-house at a television production company, television network or media company, or comparable experience within an entertainment law firm.
- Experience in some or all of the following areas is highly desired: drafting and negotiating broadcast/license/production services agreements between production companies and television networks distributing the shows; intellectual property; First Amendment issues; film finance; pre-broadcast clearance review; FCC matters; guild/union (e.g., DGA, SAG-AFTRA, WGA, IATSE) and non-union labor and employment law; and/or legal production work related to scripted audiovisual content.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills which will enable him/her to interact with a range of personalities and styles in a fast-paced business environment and to work effectively with people at many different levels (including senior executives, television network executives/business affairs, show creators, producers, artists, other attorneys, in-house client divisions and outside production staff); have an effective problem-solving approach; have strong negotiation skills and excellent drafting and analytical skills; be well-organized and have a strong work ethic.
- An upbeat temperament, dynamic personality and highly team-oriented approach to work.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Please state salary requirements.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ